Friday, March 26, 2010

Franchises: Where Traditions and Memories are Made

Today is my oldest son's 4th birthday. At 6:00 AM this morning I was out the door to our local Dunkin' Donuts(R) to buy him a big jelly donut, which we ultimately stuck a large "4" candle in for him to blow out at breakfast. What a super way to start out your birthday, right?? This tradition originally started out as an "oops" because I hadn't gotten a cake or cupcakes made for his birthday and I needed something quick to put a candle in. He loves DD jelly donuts so off I went. And here we are now continuing that "oops tradition, treasuring those memories made with Dunkin' Donuts.

It seems like franchising sometimes get a bad rap, mostly by folks who may not truly understand the importance of the franchisor/franchisee relationship, but as I was cruising to DD this morning I reflected on how many wonderful traditions and memories my family has built at franchised businesses. In addition to Dunkin' Donuts for your birthday: 1) Each kids' 1st birthday was celebrated with just them, me and their dad at McDonald's(R). Their first Happy Meal(R) was a big occasion for us since my husband was a McDonald's "Employee of the Year" back in his youth. 2)We had a wonderful party at Chuck E. Cheese's(R) this past weekend. Andrew and his cousin, Izy (who was celebrating her 5th birthday), smiled the whole time. They had a blast, and so did we. The Chuck E. Cheese's staff was so accomodating and cheerful and truly made the party relaxed and enjoyable instead of chaotic. I will never forget acting like a kid for a few minutes myself and challenging my dad to a couple of games of Ski-ball. Not that it's important, but I won. I am sure this will be the first of many Chuck E. Cheese's parties. 3)Me, and lots of kids, treasure the memory of washing the family vehicle at a Super Wash(R) car wash with dad on the weekend. To this day, thirty some years after I started hangin' out at the car wash with my mom and dad, when I am in a self-serve bay at a Super Wash I am totally at ease. It's just me, the water and the dirt. It feels so good when I am done washing my car and I can see what I accomplished. Thanks mom and dad.

Franchises: where traditions and memories are made. Thank you to all of the men and women out there who reached for the dream of owning your own business and did so through franchising. My family and I will do our best to keep making traditions and memories at your businesses - I'm sure many other families will to!

Happy Birthday, Andrew! You are my heart.

Until next week, have a SUPER weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment